Tiger nut drink or chufa survived many centuries of testing and now again begins to attract fans of healthy eating. Tiger nuts is a vegetable growing in the ground like a potato. It has existed for thousands of years and has been known to humans since prehistoric times and is considered the oldest food. The first records of its use and consumption are found in the records of the Egyptians in 4000 BC. So what is tiger nut drink?
Its taste is slightly sweet with a nutty aroma. Eat them raw, fried, dried or crushed into flour. Like many root crops, they are related to heavy food. Therefore, it is best to eat them in the form of sweets, ice cream, and a drink. One such drink is tiger nut milk drink. One of the advantages of such milk is that it can completely replace cow's or goat's milk, besides it is more useful. How to make tiger nut drink look below in our article.
Also, we pay attention other tiger nut drink recipes.
Tiger Nut drink with dates and coconut
For preparation you'll need:
- glass of tiger nuts
- coconut milk (can be replaced with coconut chips or pulp)
- ground cinnamon (optinal, may be changed with any other sweet spice )
Nuts are peeled and soaked in water. Put the tiger nuts into the blender. Add dates (without pip) and coconut milk. Mix at high speed until smooth. Carefully pour the mixed nuts through a sieve. Squeeze the remaining liquid.
If you get too thick structure or there is not the right amount of milk, you can add boiled water and mix well. Experiment with proportions to achieve perfect taste.
Cool it down, then pour into a bottle or jar and store in the refrigerator for no more than one week. Serve the drink with ice and sprinkle with cinnamon.
READ ALSO: How to make ginger drink at home
Tiger Nut drink with cinnamon
For preparation you need:
- 230-240 grams of nuts
- 1 liter of purified water
- 1 stick of cinnamon (optional)
- 100 grams of nutmeg
If you want, you can add natural sugar, for example, palm or coconut one.
- Thoroughly peel the tiger nuts from the peel, rubbing them between your hands while washing in clean water. Crack the nutmeg shell, peel it away and grate its seeds.
- Place the nuts and a cinnamon stick in a bowl and pour in warm water.
- Leave it for about 12-24 hours (until nuts are soften).
- Put the mix to a blender and add water, which chufa was soaked in.
- Mix until they form a smooth paste, adding extra water, if necessary. Mix once more if it's needed.
- Cool the resulting paste for an hour, if you use it in this form.
- For the preparation of milk, filter the liquid to get rid of the pulp.
- Cool in the refrigerator and you can already drink it.
Chufa milk with lemon zest
To prepare it you will need:
- 250 grams of tiger nuts
- 200 grams of sugar (it is better to take natural)
- 1.5 liters of water
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- lemon peel
- Milk is prepared as in the first recipe. First, the nuts must be soaked in warm water and left until they swell.
- Grind them in a blender, adding a little water (about 0.5 liters) and lemon zest.
- When a pasty mixture is formed, add the rest of the water, add sugar and cinnamon.
- Filter from the pulp (it although possible to leave it) and put in the refrigerator.
READ ALSO: How to preserve tiger nut milk?
What is tiger nut drink and what is the use of it for health?
Tiger nut milk drink is a traditional drink in Nigeria and Spain. Africa is the birthplace of this peanut. In Spain, it has been known since Chufa entered this country and has long become a national drink called Orchata (Horchata).
Milk from this nut is nutritious, does not contain lactose, is rich in calcium and other nutrients. These small nuts contain a large number of minerals useful and necessary for the human body. Vitamins C and E, acting as antioxidants, help to fight the oxidative action of free radicals, reduce cholesterol.
This milk (if you do not add sugar) contains fewer calories than any carbonated drink, but perfectly quenches thirst. The presence of carbohydrates makes it a tasty and healthy source of energy. Amino acids and starches improve the digestive system, help adsorb carbohydrates and fats. Milk has a mild diuretic effect and prevents diarrhea.
Tiger nuts are an ideal choice for people with heart diseases and diabetes, as they contain a large amount of fiber, fatty acids, and vitamins. The tiger nuts can be an excellent source of replenishing nutrients for vegetarians, during fasting.
It is very important to prepare such a drink. The tiger drink bottled and sold in stores can contain a lot of sugar and other little useful, and sometimes not very harmless, ingredients.
Want to make a delicious ice cream from such vegetable milk? No problem, just freeze it! There so many options, which one will you choose?
READ ALSO: Health benefits of Zobo