- President Buhari has dissolved the NABTEB board with immediate effect
- The dissolution is related to the alleged fraud in the board
- The president directed the minister of education to reposition it
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the dissolution of the governing board of National Business and Technical Examination Board (NABTEB).
A statement, made available to newsmen in Abuja on Monday, June 25, by Sonny Echono, permanent secretary, Ministry of Education, said the approval was with immediate effect.
Echono said the president had also directed the minister of education, Malam Adamu Adamu, to take immediate measures to reposition and refocus NABTEB for greater efficiency and to render its performance more responsive to the expectations of the present administration.
He said the purported suspension of the registrar, Prof. Ifeoma Abanihe and four other directors of NABTEB had been nullified as it did not conform to due process, especially in the case of the registrar. He said the board went beyond its powers and in contravention of Section 5 and Section 6 of NABTEB Act.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that a special investigative panel was constituted to probe activities of the registrar of the National Business and Technical Examinations Board (NABTEB), Prof. Ifeoma Isuigo-Abanihe and four others.
The panel allegedly uncovered irregularities in contract awards and abuse of office by the embattled registrar.
The registrar and four directors were suspended by the 9th governing board of NABTEB at its first regular board meeting held on 19th June at NABTEB headquarters, Benin City, Edo state, following allegations of N49.7 million fraud.
The four affected staff members are: Nnasia Ndarake Asanga, director, Finance & Accounts; Dr Obinna Opara, director, Examination Administration; Alhaji Jimoh Adewola Kasali, director, Examinations Developmen; and the procurement officer, Engr. Edwin Osamo.
Legit.ng had reported that the registrar of National Business and Technical Examinations Board, Prof Ifeoma Abanihe, and four directors were suspended over their failure to account for N49 million contracts awarded by the examination body.
Legit.ng gathered that the suspension, which followed an investigative panel report, was contained in a letter signed by Prof Leonard Shilgba, the chairman NABTEB Governing Board, on Thursday, June 21.
The other four affected people are the directors of finance and accounts, examination administration, examinations development and the procurement officer. The suspension was approved after the NABTEB Board meeting in Benin, Edo state.
Parents advice government over ASUU strike - on Legit.ng TV: