- The Federal High Court in Abuja will deliver judgement on whether the continued detention of Dasuki is illegal or not on July 2
- Dasuki, the ex-NSA, has been in detention since 2015
- The former NSA boss, however, asked the court to declare his detention by the DSS illegal and award in his favour the sum of N5 billion as damages
The Federal High Court in Abuja will on Monday, July 2, deliver judgment on the propriety or otherwise of the two and a half years long detention of the immediate-past national security adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd).
Dasuki, in the suit, asked the court to declare his detention by the Department of State Service (DSS) since December 29, 2015, illegal and award in his favour the sum of N5 billion as “general damages and compensation” for the alleged violation of his rights.
Arguing his client’s suit which was filed on March 15, this year, Ahmed Raji (SAN), said there was no legal basis for keeping the ex-NSA in detention for over two years, The Punch reports.
Joined in the suits as the respondent were the director-general of the DSS, Lawal Daura, the DSS itself, and the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami, all of whom opposed the suit on Monday, June 25.
DSS operatives had on December 29, 2015, re-arrested and took Dasuki into custody shortly after he was released from Kuje Prison in Abuja on meeting the bail conditions imposed on him by the courts where is being currently prosecuted.
Dasuki had been granted bail by both the high court of the Federal Capital Territory in Maitama, Abuja, where he is facing two separate sets of charges of diversion of funds earmarked for purchase of arms to fight insurgency in the northeast, and the Federal High Court in Abuja where he is being prosecuted on charges of illegal possession of firearms and money laundering.
He instituted the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/263/2018, on March 15, 2018, following the Supreme Court’s judgment delivered on March 2, 2018, dismissing his case in which he had sought an order stopping his trials until he was released from “unlawful” detention.
Earlier before the Supreme Court’s judgment, he had obtained a favourable judgment of the Economic Community of West African States Court of Justice delivered on October 4, 2016, ordering his release from illegal custody but which the DSS had not obeyed.
Dasuki’s lawyer, Raji, told Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu on Monday, June 25, that the continued detention of his client on the grounds that he would constitute a threat to national security if released, was not legally justifiable.
Raji said the allegations of diverting of funds meant for fighting insurgency and being in illegal possession of firearms were already the subjects of his client’s ongoing trials in which the ex-NSA had been granted bail, thus could not be the basis for his continued detention.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, a report by the EFCC has detailed how the chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus, allegedly received N250 million from the office of the National Security Adviser under the leadership of the embattled Dasuki.
Secondus was said to have received the money during the build-up to the 2015 general elections when he served as the deputy chairman (south) of the PDP, The Punch citing a copy of the report stated.
The document further alleged that the funds were approved by Dasuki for unknown reasons but were merely referred to as special duties.
Top 5 the Richest People of Nigeria: The Luxury of Corruption - On Legit.ng TV