- Immigrant children as young as 14 years of age have accused Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Centre in Virginia of subjecting them to abuse
- They claimed that they were beaten and locked up in solitary confinement
- The facility has, however, denied the allegations of physically abusing the children
Allegations of abuse have been leveled against Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Centre in Virginia, United States.
Daily Mail reports that immigrant children as young as 14 housed at the the juvenile detention centre said that they were beaten while handcuffed and locked up in solitary confinement for a long time.
Legit.ng gathers that the children claimed that they were also left without clothes and shivering in concrete cells.
It was learnt that the claims by the victims were detailed in federal court filings that include sworn statements from Latino teenagers that have been in the centre for months or years.
A Honduran immigrant, who was sent to the facility when he was 15, said: "Whenever they used to restrain me and put me in the chair, they would handcuff me. Strapped me down all the way, from your feet all the way to your chest, you couldn't really move.
"They have total control over you. They also put a bag over your head. It has little holes; you can see through it. But you feel suffocated with the bag on."
A former child-development specialist, who worked inside the centre, said she saw kids there with bruises and broken bones they blamed on guards.
The allegations of physical abuse by the victims have, however, been denied by the lawyers representing the detention facility.
Many of the victims were sent to the facility after they were accused by US immigration authorities of belonging to violent gangs, including MS-13.
A programme director at the facility, Kelsey Wong, said: "The youth were being screened as gang-involved individuals. And then when they came into our care, and they were assessed by our clinical and case management staff ... they weren't necessarily identified as gang-involved individuals."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that after a lot of criticisms that trailed President Donald Trump's "zero tolerance" immigration policy that separated migrant children from their families, the president signed an executive order to put an end to the separation.
President Trump signed the executive order on Wednesday, June 20. The executive order will end the process of separating children from their families after they are detained for crossing US border illegally.
Street Gist: Will Nigeria be a better place with Trump as president? | on Legit.ng TV