- The United States has commiserated with Nigeria on the death of innocent citizens who lost their lives in Damboa attacks in Borno state
- Suspected members of the Boko Haram insurgency attacked Damboa on Saturday, June 16
- No fewer than 32 people lost their lives while 84 others were injured
The United States has condemned, in the strongest possible terms, the attacks on the night of Saturday, June 16 in Damboa, Borno in Northeastern Nigeria by suspected members of Boko Haram terrorists.
NAN reports that the US in a statement by Heather Nauert, spokesperson for the US department of state, said it stood firm with Nigeria in the fight against terrorism.
Legit.ng notes that according to reports, no fewer than 32 persons were killed, while 84 others were injured when six suic*de bombers detonated Improvised Explosive Devices in Damboa local government area of Borno.
The US said: “This violent attack, aimed at civilians celebrating with their families and communities during the Eid el-Fitr holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, is a reminder of the depravity of those who commit such attacks against innocent people.
“The United States stands firmly with Nigeria in its fight against terrorism. We extend our deepest condolences to the families and friends of the victims who were injured and killed, and mourn all those who were lost."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the United Nations secretary-general, António Guterres, condemned the Saturday, June 16 attacks in Damboa, Borno state by men suspected to be Boko Haram insurgents.
The UN chief expressed his condolences to the affected families and to the government and people of Nigeria and wished those injured a swift recovery.
Benue IDPs: Education amidst crisis | on Legit.ng TV