Do you know how many types of chairs for your living room exist in this world? Well, from the list of the existing types below, you will find out how numerous they are, what their peculiar features can be and how to choose the best ones for the best of comfort in your home. So, prepare for a long and useful guide.
Top chairs for your living room
A chair is an ancient item of furniture that has developed greatly through centuries. There are so many types of chairs in the world of furniture that a regular person who is not a design specialist or a manufacturer wouldn’t even know what they are.
READ ALSO: 5 beautiful house designs in Nigeria
Well, let’s figure out which types of chairs exist, which characteristic features they have, and how they can match your interior from different points of view. There are several main types of chairs, so let’s focus on them, to begin with.
- Armchairs are among the favorites of stuffed furniture lovers. They add status and self-expression to a living room. They are perfect when it’s necessary to create accents that are bright or have a prominent shape. What’s more, they are more comfortable than regular chairs
- Recliners are similar to armchairs but, unlike the stiff armchairs, they are flexible. When you sit into a recliner, its back tilts with your body while the front part raises. Some of them have footrests that come out on their own when the back is moved
- Round armchairs are much bigger than regular armchairs. They need more space also because they are round and can’t be moved compactly into a corner. Big round armchairs are modern, stylish, and offer plenty of comfort. Your living room will be exceptionally stylish with them
- Loveseats are not quite chairs or armchairs but also not quite sofas. They are soft and big but can give place to only two persons at a time and very closely at that. It’s a very specific item of the interior and you should purchase it only if you are sure you have somebody who will feel comfortable in it
- Accent chairs are the ones that help giving a room a touch of some certain style, an accent. They are also divided into separate groups, each of which will be discussed below. Such chairs are picked to match the existing style of the living room or create an interesting contrast
Well, now it’s necessary to give more attention to the accent chairs because these could be exactly the ones your living room needs.
The best accent chairs for your interior
- Club chairs are determined by their specific look that’s characteristic for club seats. They are often finished in leather, genuine or imitation. These chairs provide a deep roomy seat with a low back. Purchase such chairs only in case your living room is already furnished with massive classic items
- Wingback chairs have a higher back part that reaches a person’s head and the characteristic side parts of the back that protrude forth like wings. Such a chair is a great choice for any living room because it provides comfort and even a little seclusion due to the wing parts
- Bergere chairs are luxurious and utterly classic. They have the specific curvy and carved armrests and legs plenty of decorative elements and bright upholstery. These are not the most comfortable chair types because of the wooden parts but certainly they provide the richest look
- Lawson chairs are somewhat like the club ones, especially when they have the leather upholstering. Still, they have firmer cushions, characteristic rounded armrests, and a perfectly lined shape. They are good for a living room that’s in between high-tech and classic comfort
- Barrel chairs are among the coziest ones because they embrace you from all sides. They have a rounded back that curves forth to create armrests and a spacious deep seat that offers plenty of comfort. It’s another perfect universal option that would match any interior
- Rolled arm English chairs are characterized with rounded, “rolled” armrests and a comfortable deep seat. It’s quite large with all its rounded shapes. This is why you should consider purchasing it only if you have enough space in your living room
- Slipper chairs are the regular stuffed armchairs but they don’t have any armrests. It makes them interesting pieces of furnishing and quite comfortable ones as they take much less space and have an ergonomic square shape. Choose them if you need something unusual in your living room
- Ottoman chairs are the ones that have a specific purpose: they provide rest for feet. However, today such stools can have multiple purposes. Some of them can serve as coffee tables when needed and some are just boxes where you can store things. Anyways, they are a useful piece in any living room, especially when you have guests
- Chesterfield chairs are like small sofas because they are rather wide for a usual chair and their backs and armrests are of the same height. One of the key features of such chairs is the tufted style of their upholstering. Such huge classical items are great for big living rooms in the same style
- Dining chairs are comfortable chairs with no armrests but with high backs and soft seats. They are meant to provide the entire family or their guests with comfort when they gather around a dining table. If your living room also serves as a dining room, such seats may come in handy to serve multiple purposes
How to choose a proper chair type for your living room
When choosing a chair for your living room, you need to take into consideration several important factors. One of them is the size of your room. Big items in a small space make it look crowded and reduce the comfort.
If you have a small living room, give preference to delicate items with slender shapes. If you have no room for permanent chairs, consider buying bag-chairs that have no frame, just a bag and filler.
Then, consider the style of the entire room. Hi-tech chairs in a classic room will look out of place and vice versa. Choose the color of the wood (if it’s exposed) and the upholstery. Make sure it matches your interior even in case you want to create a bright colorful spot against the background of the interior.
Finally, choose the upholstering material that is durable and requires no special care. Velvet, silk, satin and other luxurious materials lose their pretty look quite quickly with active usage. If you are not holding your furniture for the impression and mean to use it, choose materials that are durable and easily cleaned.
When it comes to comfort, consider the following parameters:
- Too low chairs are uncomfortable to stand up from, too high are uncomfortable for sitting in them
- Too tall armrests give a load on shoulders while too low ones are useless because the elbows don’t reach them
- A too narrow seat provides little comfort while a too wide one has too much space between the armrests
- The depth of the seat should make no less than 2/3 of the length of an adult person’s thigh, otherwise, there will be blood circulation problems in the users’ legs
- The best height of the seat is such that a person’s feet stand firmly on the floor
When purchasing a chair, you need to sit and try the comfort on your own. No matter how much you like it if it’s uncomfortable to you or your family, it will be a waste of money. Regarding the money: you’d better pay extra than purchasing something of a low quality that will break down quite soon.
READ ALSO: Duplex designs in Nigeria: Photos