Get ready to know how to cook Jollof rice in the best way. Here you will find all necessary ingredients and cooking instructions. This recipe is special. Surprise your guests with this delicious African dish.
There are a lot of different ways to prepare Jollof rice. Actually, this delicious dish originated from Senegal. And they have their special original recipe. Or, for example, Ghanaian Jollof rice has its own secrets. With all due respect to previous nations, Nigerian Jollof rice will remain the best. We know how to make party Jollof rice that has very exquisite and rich taste.
Generally, this rice is almost the same as classical Jollof rice. This is very popular and loved among many Nigerians. But this method has some secrets and we are going to share with you. Save it because it will be your favorite dish. This is simple and easy jollof rice recipe.
Jollof rice ingredients
You will need the next products to cook this amazing dish:
- 3¾ cups (750g) long grain parboiled rice
- 2-3 cups Tomato Stew
- Chicken (whole chicken, drumsticks or chicken breast)
- Pepper and salt (to taste)
- 2 medium onions
- 3 Knorr cubes
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (Nigerian curry powder).
READ ALSO: Best Okro soup recipe
What should you do before preparing?
- The first step is a cooking of tomato stew. Ideally, you need to do it in advance. It should be kept in the freezer. It’s also related to all recipes of Jollof rice.
- Secondly, you need to take a chicken and slice it into little pieces (in the case of whole chicken). Then chop 2 bulbs of onions and add it as well as Knorr cubes and thyme. Cook these ingredients with chicken.
- The time of preparing will depend on type of chicken. For example, if you use a hen instead of cockerel, it will take significantly more time. But the hen is more delicious. Nevertheless this is a matter of taste.
- When it’s prepared, cook it in oven. It may be also fried. This type of cooking will give your dish golden look. Let your guests enjoy not only with taste but with its presentable look.
- The next step before preparing is a parboiling the rice. Finally, after you parboil the rice, wash it and let it drain in a sieve.
How to prepare Jollof rice?
Now we can start the process of final Jollof rice cooking. Follow these steps to get perfect dish:
- Firstly, pour the chicken bouillon and the tomato stew in one pot for boiling.
- The second step is the adding of parboiled rice and curry powder. Then add some salt and pepper to your taste. The rice level must be in line with water level. It’s necessary to soak up water until cooking is complete.
- Finally, cover the rice for cooking in a medium heat. Then make a heat little easier.
- If you see that your rice isn’t prepared yet but there is no water anymore, add more water to avoid a burning of rice.
That’s a perfect easy recipe to cook party Jollof rice. When it’s prepared, serve it to your liking. It tastes good with peppered fried fish, Moi Moi and other Nigerian dishes. You can also add some vegetables. Enjoy your meal!
READ ALSO: How to make vegetable sauce with ugu