Are you planning to study at Obafemi Awolowo University as an undergraduate or postgraduate student? Let us discuss the main OAU admission requirements 2018. This way you will know how to get through OAU admission procedure easily and enter this higher educational institution in Nigeria.
We will list the requirements for both freshmen and postgraduates because the rules of OAU admission differ and entirely depend on your programme.
Obafemi Awolowo University is abbreviated as OAU by students, professors and all Nigerian citizens. This higher educational institution has educated many famous lawyers, politicians, actors, businessmen, designers, and people of many professions.
Obafemi Awolowo University requirements for undergraduates
All freshmen (new students who are planning to enter their first year of studies at OAU) have to meet admission requirements along with extra rules set up by their faculty. It is always better to explore all the options before you actually submit your documents and choose to apply.
Here is what you must know in general:
- It is a must to provide your O'Level certificate
- There should be 5 or more O’levels credit pass (the higher educational institution supports 1 or 2 sittings).
- It is necessary to have 1 of your ‘O’-credits in English or Mathematics (it depends on your faculty, and some departments really need only one of these subjects).
Undergraduate faculties requirements
Now let us look closer at different OAU admission requirements set by faculties for their first-year students and see what else you might need to study here.
Faculty of Education
OAU University offers another 4-year course to Nigerians who are interested in studying foreign languages, arts, health within Education Faculty and earn B.Ed. Bachelor’s degree.
These are main 2018 requirements to meet:
- You should get your ‘O’s in English literature and language or earn A-level in English plus relevant subjects for English Education programme.
- Students are expected to get O’s or A’s in English plus Fine Arts to be submitted to Fine & Applied Arts class.
- Nigerians who are interested in studying French have to earn O’s in French plus English or A’s in French plus any Art discipline.
- Citizens who are looking to the History class have to earn O-level credits in History and English or get NCE/Merit pass in History for a direct entry application to OAU.
- It is must-have to earn A’s or O’s in English plus Yoruba if you would love to apply for Language Arts class through O-level exams or direct entry.
- Students who love Music class need to make sure their O’s credits include Music and English language or their direct entry A’s include Music discipline.
- It is important to get O’s or A’s (for direct entry students) in Yoruba and English if you have plans to study undergraduate Yoruba programme.
- Candidates for Christian Religion class have to score ‘O’s in Bible Knowledge, English and other disciplines or get NCE/A’s in Religious Studies for the direct entry application.
- Health and Physical Education programme requires applicants to pass O-level tests in English, Arts, Social Science/Science subjects while direct entry applicants have to get A’s in relative subjects (health education, physical education, English).
- The list of O’s credit subjects for Biology & Botany course includes Biology, English, Mathematics and Chemistry plus direct entry candidates should have NCE A’s in Biology.
- Students who wish to study Chemistry have to score ‘O’s in Chemistry, Mathematics, English plus Physics/Biology/Agriculture (student’s choice of 2 subjects) while direct entry candidates have to get A’s in NCE in Chemistry plus Mathematics or Physics (the choice of 1 subject).
- Those who are interested in Mathematics (Education) OAU programme need to pass O’s tests in Physics, English, Chemistry and Mathematics, and direct entry requirements include A’s in Chemistry or Physics plus Mathematics.
- Physics course candidates at Obafemi Awolowo University need to get O’s in Physics, English, Mathematics plus their choice of Biology, Agriculture or Chemistry; while it is necessary to get A’s in Mathematics and Physics plus Science discipline for direct entry admission.
- The Economics class’s list of O’s subjects includes Economics, English and Mathematics (students are welcome to select other disciplines on their own) and direct entry A’s subject list includes Social Science and Economics.
- If you want to study Geography within Education faculty you have to pass O-level tests in English, Mathematics and Geography or get A’s in these subjects for a direct entry application.
- Nigerian students who are fond of Social Studies class need to get O’s in English plus Geography/History/Music/Government/Religious Studies or other subjects.
- The course on Political Science includes O-level requirements for English, Government, Mathematics or A-level direct entry requirements for Government and any Social Science discipline.
Faculty of Administration
This is a 4-year course that awards students a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, international relations, local government studies or public administration.
Here is what you are required by OAU university depending on the programme:
- Students who would like to study accounting have to choose social science subjects along with Maths, English and Economics for UTME exams, get the total of 5 ‘O’s in Economics, English, Mathematics and/or Biology and/or Yoruba and/or Government; those who apply through direct entry have to provide a National Diploma in Accounting.
- Nigerians who are planning to study international relations at Obafemi Awolowo University should provide 5 ‘O’ level grades in Government, English, Mathematics and/or Geography and/or History and/or Yoruba; choose any social science subject along with English, Mathematics and Government for UTME testing; direct entry applicants must boast successful passes in Economics, Government plus French or History.
- Freshmen who have wishes to study local government discipline at OAU University are required to select Government, English, Mathematics plus History or Geography or Religious Studies or Economics (one subject) for UTME exams, and provide ‘O’ Levels in Mathematics, Economics, English and Government in 1 or 2 settings; direct entry applicants have to earn GCE A/L in Government plus one more social science subject, get 5 credits in NECO/SSCE/WASC (in relevant subjects) and those who have Diplomas in Local Government should provide this document as well.
- New students who are in love with public administration course have to pass UTME exams in Economics, English, Mathematics plus History or Government or Geography, and earn ‘O’ Levels in Mathematics, English plus Geography/Economics/History/Government at 1 or 2 sittings.
Faculty of Arts
This is a 4-year course with multiple choices of B.A. degree in English, arts, music, history and other disciplines offered by Obafemi Awolowo University. It is necessary to follow these OAU rules 2018 if you would like to apply:
- You have to own ‘O’s in Yoruba, English plus any Arts discipline for African literature/language course.
- It is necessary to score ‘O’s in I.R.K./C.R.K., English plus any Arts discipline for the course on Religious Studies.
- You need to earn ‘O’s in English literature, English language plus at least one Arts discipline for studying English or Drama Arts.
- You should get ‘O’s in English and any four other disciplines to apply for Foreign Languages course at OAU University.
- Students are required to get ‘O’-level credits in two different Arts disciplines and English to join Music course.
- It is important to receive O-level grades in English, Arts, Mathematics for Philosophy course.
- You’ll be asked to choose History, English and Arts for O’Level tests for regular History class or pass Government/History, English, Literature/I.R.K./C.R.K. for History (Combined Honours) programme.
Faculty of Technology
Undergraduate students can enter the 5-year engineering programme to earn Bachelor of Science degree in different courses.
You will have to bypass these 2018 requirements:
- Regular admission rules ask students to get O-level credits in Mathematics, English, Chemistry, Physics plus any discipline of student’s choice.
- Citizens who have plans to apply through direct entry option need to also have OND Certificate or get excellent GCE papers.
Faculty of Agriculture
This is a 5-year course with B.Sc. in the main discipline. You can apply if you meet OAU requirements:
- Potential students should pass UTME exams in Biology, English plus Chemistry/Agriculture/Physics/Mathematics (choose your additional subjects yourself).
- It is necessary to earn O’Levels in Agricultural Science, English, Biology, Mathematics, Chemistry or provide equal School Certificate (S.S.S.C. or a similar document).
- Nigerian citizens who choose to apply through direct entry have to own Ordinary or Higher National Diploma in Agriculture from an approved higher education institution; have ‘A’ grades in Chemistry plus Zoology/Biology/Botany/Agricultural Science (choose one subject).
Faculty of Science
The 4-year class offers a big number of courses that can earn you a B.Sc. degree, and you can enter any programme by meeting OAU 2018 requirements and earn ‘O’ Level credits in the following subjects:
- Botany class – English, Mathematics plus Agriculture or Biology
- Biochemistry class – Mathematics, English, Chemistry plus Biology or Physics
- Chemistry, Microbiology, Geophysics/Geology programmes – Mathematics, English, Physics, Chemistry
- Statistics/Mathematics classes – Physics, Mathematics, English plus discipline in Science
- Zoology programme – Biology, Mathematics, any Science discipline
READ ALSO: Obafemi Awolowo University notable alumni
Faculty of Health Science
Unlike different undergraduate faculties, this OAU programme lasts for 5 or 6 years and includes such requirements for candidates who are planning to pass ‘O’ or ‘A’ Levels:
- Departments of Medicine, Medical Rehabilitation, Nursing, Dentistry – Biology, English, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry
Faculty of Social Sciences
Undergraduates have a big choice of departments if they would like to study at this OAU Faculty.
The list of requirements includes ‘O’ Level credits in the following subjects:
- Social Statistics/Demography – Mathematics, English plus any Social Science discipline
- Geography – Mathematics, English, Geography plus Arts/Social Science
- Economics – Mathematics, English, Economics plus Arts/Social Science
- Political Science – Mathematics, English, Government
- Psychology – Biology, Mathematics, English
- Philosophy, Economics & Politics – Government, English, Economics, Mathematics
- Sociology – Mathematics, English plus at least 2 papers in Geography/Economics/History
Admission requirements for postgraduates at Obafemi Awolowo
Students who are seeking to obtain their postgraduate degree should also meet OAU admission requirements 2018 set up by the Postgraduate College.
Here are the requirements that must be met before you can apply:
- A student should own a Bachelor’s degree in one of the following fields of studies: Philosophy, Arts, Science or Letters (the document should come from a legit/approved higher educational institution).
- To be admitted to be accepted for Masters programme you should have B-level academic grades.
- To be accepted for Doctorate programme you need to have a Masters Degree or MPhil along with average B-plus-level grades in the appropriate courses.
These are the main OAU admission requirements 2018 for both undergraduate and postgraduate students from Nigeria. If you would love to study at Obafemi Awolowo University, you should prepare all your documents and tests beforehand.
READ ALSO: OAU school fees 2017/18