- Jose Mourinho has sensationally opened the door for former United star Cristiano Ronaldo to return to Old Trafford
- Ronaldo has repeatedly been linked with a move back to Old Trafford
- But Mourinho believes Real Madrid will not want to sell their star man
Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho has sensationally opened the door for former United star Cristiano Ronaldo to return to Old Trafford.
The Portugal captain has repeatedly been linked with a move back to Old Trafford, with Mourinho revealing he could not reject the chance to sign him.
CR7 spent six years at United between 2003-2009, banging in 118 goals in 292 games in all competitions.
While speaking to Portuguese newspaper Record via EFE, Mourinho said: "I consider that Real Madrid cannot sell, they can't. It's prohibitive.
"He has to stay until the time when they authorise him to go and play one year to America or any other place where he wants to go.
"The door is closed. That is the impression I have.
"Everyone knows his history at Manchester, the passion they have for him, and that there are players in the world who, if clubs have the possibility of signing, will not say no."
Ex-Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger revealed recently that he failed to nab Ronaldo whilst he was at Sporting Lisbon in 2003, with the Gunners refusing to pay the £12m asking price.
Mourinho then claimed that Los Blancos president Florentino Perez blocked a move for him to become the new manager of Portugal's national team.
He added: "I came close once but [Real Madrid president] Florentino Perez didn't let me because he believed that the role of Real coach was not compatible with being part-time coach of the national team."
Mourinho will be looking to claim his third major honour with United on Saturday May 19, when his side face Chelsea in the FA Cup final at Wembley.
Legit.ng previously reported that Cristiano Ronaldo had reportedly threatened to leave Real Madrid for Manchester United if the club Mohamed Salah this summer, Express, quoting Don Balon.
Reports from Spain claim Ronaldo does not want another star player to overtake him as the key man at the Berrnabeu amid Salah speculation.
And, according to the Spanish media outlet, the 33-year-old has told Madrid he has a mouth-watering offer on the table and could complete a sensational return to Manchester.
Who is the better coach, Mourinho or Conte? - on Legit.ng TV