Nigerian news All categories All tags
2018 UTME: We have just paid over N1 billion to all owners of CBT centres - JAMB official

2018 UTME: We have just paid over N1 billion to all owners of CBT centres - JAMB official

- About N1 billion has been paid by JAMB to owners of Computer-Based Test centres nationwide

- This is in line with the agreement reached with the CBT centres for the 2018 UTME

- However, any centre that was originally scheduled for the exam that eventually had technical issues would not be paid

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) says it has paid about N1 billion to owners of Computer-Based Test (CBT) centres nationwide for their services for the 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

The board’s head, media and information, Dr Fabian Benjamin, told the News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) on Sunday, May 13, in Lagos that the payment was in line with the agreement reached with the CBT centres.

Besides, he said it would promote and sustain a cordial working relationship with stakeholders that participate in the conduct of its annual examinations.

We have just paid over N1 billion to all owners of CBT centres used in the conduct of our 2018 UTME. Centre owners that gave us quality service during our examination have all been commended for a job well done and we have reciprocated by effecting payments.

“However, we however discovered that some centres could not live up to their responsibilities as a result of some technical issues,” he told NAN.

READ ALSO: Oyegun is after me because I spoke against tenure elongation - Okorocha

According to him, candidates that are scheduled for the examination in such centres are relocated to new centres which will now be paid for their services.

Benjamin said it was only proper to promptly keep to agreements as and when due to ensure better collaborative efforts in quality service delivery.

He explained that any centre that was originally scheduled for the exam that eventually had technical issues would not be paid because the board could not afford to pay twice for the same purpose.

“In some others on watching the footage of the CCTV cameras at the centres after the examination, we discovered operators or owners of such centres colluded with some candidates to cheat.

“These categories of centre owners cannot be paid. Currently too, the board has embarked on a mop-up exercise for candidates with biometric issues and other related issues that was no fault of theirs during the conduct of the examination.

“Apart from the biometric issues, some candidates innocently found themselves in some centres that colluded with candidates to cheat in the examination. In such cases, it will be wrong to cancel the entire results of the candidates. All such innocent candidates will be singled out and be given the opportunity of re-taking the exam.

“As a responsive organisation, we will continue to ensure that every candidate is given a right to access higher education,” Benjamin said.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news

The JAMB spokesman promised that the board would continue to deploy cutting edge technology in the conduct of its examinations in a bid to protect the integrity of its tests.

Legit.ng previously reported that the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board said that arrangement has been concluded for the successful conduct of the exam scheduled to hold from Friday, March 9 to Saturday, March 17.

The board’s head of media and information department, Fabian Benjamin, warned candidates not to go to their respective centres with prohibited items such as telephones, wristwatches, pens, and other devices.

Nigerians express mixed feelings as JAMB reduces admission cut-off to 120 - on Legit.ng TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Legit.ng

Tags:
NAN
Mailfire view pixel