- The Audu/Faleke political organization had threatened to boycott the APC congress holding this week in Kogi state
- Yahaya Bello, the governor of Kogi state was accused of hijacking the processes that would lead to the congress
- But the governor described the group as 'diaspora politicians' who are afraid of defeat during the forthcoming congress
The Audu/Faleke political organization has said that it will boycott the forthcoming congresses of the All Progressive Congress (APC) in Kogi state "because indications have emerged that they would be no level playing ground in the exercise."
Daily Trust reports that the director of media and publicity of the organization, Duro Maseko, in a statement issued in Lokoja on Thursday, May 3, alleged that Governor Yahaya Bello has "hijacked the whole processes", handing over the ward congresses to his local government administrators to compile names from wards to local government areas.
Legit.ng gathered that the group alleged that the actions of the governor since coming into power had shown that he has an agenda of "emasculating" the Audu/Falake political family that worked for the electoral victory he (Bello) is today enjoying.
The statement read: "We have on good authority that thugs are being armed to attack any of our members considered not to be GYB member in all the venues of the congresses.
"In view of the above therefore, the Audu/Faleke political organization hereby directs our members across the three senatorial districts in the state not to risk their valuable lives to participate in any of the congresses beginning from this week's ward congresses.
The group accused the Oyegun-led national leadership of the APC of insincerity in resolving the crisis that rocked the APC in the state following the death of Prince Abubakar Audu.
The group pointed out that despite far reaching recommendations made by the various committees set up by the national leadership of the APC to resolve the crisis in the state, the party failed to act on such recommendations because it was more interested in doing the bidding of the powers that be in the state.
But reacting, the director general on media and publicity to the Kogi governor, Kingsley Fanwo said the governor has neither compiled any list nor raised thugs to attack anybody in the forthcoming congresses.
He described the group as "diaspora politicians" who are already jittery having lost touch with their people at the grassroots over past two and half years.
"Their statement is a face saving effort over the shame of losing a free and fair congress and rather than lose and be mocked, they have chosen to stay away", he said.
He said the governor as the leader of the party, respect the APC constitution and would not allow imposition of executives on the party.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that a Federal High Court sitting in Abuja on Tuesday, March 20, dismissed a suit seeking the sack of the Kogi state governor, Yahaya Bello. It was reported that the court in its ruling upheld an objection raised against the suit by Bello to the effect that the plaintiffs had no locus standi to institute the suit.
Not Too Young to Run Bill: Nigerian youths march to Aso Rock in support - on Legit.ng TV