- Police have debunked rumours of planned attacks on mosques in Benue state
- The security agency described the rumours as the handiwork of mischief makers
- Members of the public have also been asked to disregard the information
The police command in Benue state has dismissed rumours of planned attacks on five mosques in Makurdi and other parts of the state as “untrue.”
Legit.ng gathered that the command in a statement on Friday, April 27, in Makurdi, said the rumours were the handiwork of mischief makers and urged members of the public to disregard them.
“These are nothing but falsehood, believably meant to cause break down of law and order in the state. It is indeed a difficult period; however, acts of insurgency being witnessed lately have nothing to do with religion, ethnicity or political alienation.
“Therefore, in order to overcome the ongoing security challenges, the collaboration of all is required. The command appreciates the calmness and understanding of the good people of the state.
“We appeal that criminal elements should not be allowed to cause any civil disturbance to achieve their selfish interest,” the statement said.
The command appealed to members of the public to report all suspicious persons or group of persons to the police.
Meanwhile, a correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) who went round Makurdi town reports that security has been beefed up in the town, especially, around the mosques.
Armed soldiers were also seen patrolling some major streets in the town but commercial and other activities were going on normally. (NAN)
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) issued a red-alerted on Thursday, March 15, as it warns residents of Borno state against an impending attack by the Boko Haram terrorist group using vehicles loaded with explosives.
See the faces of newly arrested criminals in Lagos State - on Legit.ng TV