Nigerian news All categories All tags
Lagos saves N4.5bn from non-sponsorship of pilgrimages to Israel, Saudi Arabia

Lagos saves N4.5bn from non-sponsorship of pilgrimages to Israel, Saudi Arabia

- Abdulhakeem Abdullateef, the commissioner for home affairs in Lagos has said that the government has saved N4.5 billion from non-sponsorship of pilgrimages

- Abdulhakeem Abdullateef, the state's commissioner for home affairs revealed this on Monday, April 23

- Abdullateef, however, said that the state government will provide aspiring pilgrims with tips for their healthcare

The Lagos state government has said that it saved a total of N4.5billion in the last three years when it stopped funding pilgrimages to Israel and Saudi Arabia.

Abdulhakeem Abdullateef, the commissioner for home affairs, disclosed this on Monday, April 23 in Ikeja at a press conference, Channels TV reports.

READ ALSO: Libya returnees stage protest at Edo govt house over N1,100 bank deductions on stipends

Abdullateef said: “Yearly in the past, before the present administration came on board, the state government spent an average of N1.5 billion to sponsor people to pilgrimage free of charge,” he said in a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Habib Aruna.

“But since Governor Ambode decided to stop the sponsorship of pilgrimage, we have saved N4.5billion in the last three years and the governor has not changed his mind with regard to sponsorship of pilgrimages.”

He, however, said the state government would take care of the welfare of the pilgrims, as well as support them with medical tips and clerics who would guide them to ensure that they are focused on the spiritual objectives of the pilgrimage.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Abdullateef further stated that the funds saved so far have been used for the construction of roads and other amenities in the state.

Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that three Nigerians out of the 76,000 pilgrims from Nigeria in Saudi Arabia for the 2016 Hajj exercise had been confirmed dead by the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON).

In a statement by Ibrahim Kana, head of the medical team, it was disclosed that two of the pilgrims died in Madinah and one in Makkah.

Traffic in Lagos: Only Nigerians Will Understand | Legit.ng TV

Subscribe to watch new videos

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel