- Nigerian soldiers on operation in Kogi encountered some bandits in the state recently
- A clearance was carried out by troops of headquarters command army records in conjunction with those on operation total freedom
- Six of the suspected bandits were neutralised during the encounter
Troops of headquarters command army records in conjunction with those on operation total freedom while on clearance operation at Kpanche, Bereko and Ozugbe villages Bassa local government area of Kogi state, encountered bandits responsible for terrorising the areas.
According to a statement sent to Legit.ng by the director army public relations, Brigadier-General Texas Chukwu, six of the suspected bandits were neutralised during the encounter while others fled following the superior fire power of the troops.
Items recovered include:
1. Two AK 47 rifles with five magazines
2. 25 rounds of.ammunition
3. One G3 rifle with one magazine
4. 188 rounds of ammunition
5. Two locally made guns
The army also assured fleeing residents in the area of their safety and advised them not to panic but report any suspicious activities or movements to the law enforcement agents.
The bandits had killed 16 people in the area on Sunday, April 22.
The traditional ruler of Mozum community, Alhaji Khalid Bukar said two villages - Ozugbe and Biroko - which are under his authority were attacked by the gunmen.
He also said that many houses including one belonging to the late Madaki were razed while five people were shot dead.
TY Danjuma, Nigerian army and the herdsmen crisis | Legit.ng TV