- Over 30 people are said to have died in Zamfara as a result of attack by gunmen
- Many of the villagers are also said to have deserted their homes for fear of further attacks
- The police spokesman however said that the actual number of those killed was still being worked on
Suspected gunmen have again killed about 30 people in Kabaro and Danmani villages in Maru local government area of Zamfara state.
An eye witness, Mr Shuaibu Kabaro, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Maru that the suspected gunmen attacked the two communities and the incident was immediately reported to the security agents.
He said three of the bandits were arrested by security agents following the prompt report of the incident to the security personnel.
Shuaibu said, the gunmen in turn went and mobilized more gangs and returned in multitude to carry out the attack which left about 30 dead and many others injured in the two communities.
The Maru local government council chairman, Alhaji Salisu Dangulbi and the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, DSP Mohammed Shehu both confirmed the killings.
READ ALSO: Another Nigerian gets top UN appointment
According to them, many of the villagers deserted their homes for fear of further attacks which now characterized the mode of operations of the gunmen.
The duo said, with the presence of security personnel now in the area however, many of the villagers had returned home.
The PPRO further explained that units of mobile police working with the military and other security agents were immediately mobilized to the affected areas and that peace and normalcy had been restored.
The police spokesman however said that the actual number of those killed was still being worked on and “until this is done, l cannot give you actual figure at the moment’’.
Legit.ng had earlier reported that the Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai on Friday, April 20, said the Nigerian Army would commence Operation LAST HOLD in northern Borno and parts of Lake Chad Basin to complete the decimation of the Boko Haram terrorists.
Legit.ng gathered that Buratai who was represented by Major General David D Ahmadu, the chief of training and operations at a press briefing at the Army Headquarters, Abuja, said the operation would commence on the May 1 and end by August 31.
Benue IDPs: Education amidst crisis | Legit.ng TV: