2 Boko Haram commanders, female leader, and physician surrender to Nigerian troops

2 Boko Haram commanders, female leader, and physician surrender to Nigerian troops

- Two Boko Haram commanders and one of the physician have surrendered to the Nigerian Army

- The Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj.-Gen. Rogers Nicholas, said a woman leader of the insurgents’ group and three children also surrendered

- Nicholas also said that the military initiated contact with the insurgents to encourage them to surrender

Maj.-Gen. Rogers Nicholas, the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, said two Boko Haram commanders and the insurgents’ physician have surrendered to Nigerian Army.

He made the disclosure when he presented the surrendered insurgents in Maiduguri.

Nicholas said a woman leader of the insurgents’ group and three children also surrendered to the troops at Kumshe in Bama Local Government Area of Borno.

READ ALSO: Police promote EFCC chairman Magu, 17 others

He added that the insurgents voluntarily surrendered, noting that the move was acceptable under the Safe Corridor Scheme initiated by Federal Government to encourage the insurgents to lay down their arms.

The theatre commander explained that the military initiated contact with the insurgents to encourage them to surrender, adding that more insurgents had indicated their interest to lay down their arms.

He said: “we had a contact group and two insurgents’ commanders, a local doctor and their women leader and their children surrendered to the troops.

“We gave them clothes, food and med*cation and assured them of safety: we are not killing anybody.

“Our duty is to protect lives and property, we call on the insurgents in the bush to come out, surrender and join the peace building process.”

He pointed out that the surrendered insurgents would be engaged in deradicalisation, rehabilitation and skill acquisition training programme for possible integration into the society.

In their submission, Ali Musa, the insurgents’ physician, said he conducted surgical operations such as bullet extraction, appendix, treatment of wounded insurgents, ante natal and post-natal services in the camp.

Ali said he was indoctrinated and misled by the sect leaders, adding that the sect activities had damaged his life.

Umar Ibrahim, one of the insurgents’ commanders, said he surrendered voluntarily as he became fed up with the group’s inhuman activities.

Ibrahim disclosed that hundreds of insurgents were willing to surrender to the troops but their leaders prevented them from doing so.

“We were told that the army will kill us and feed on our flesh when we surrender. The sect’s leaders also planted landmines to stop us from coming to the troops.

“Many insurgents are willing to surrender in view of the fact that we are against the destructive ideologies propagated by the sect.

“We hardly feed, people are starving due to the lack of food in the camp. We want peace and we want to join in building peace in our country, we ask Nigerians to forgive us,” he added.

Ibrahim called on other insurgents to surrender and commended the military for taking care of them.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigerian army shared pictures of high ranking Boko Haram terrorists killed by soldiers during aerial bombardment on their hideout.

The pictures were shared by army spokesperson, Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman, on Saturday, September 9.

He wrote: "Please recall that in our release of Tuesday 4th September 2017, we informed you that some senior Boko Haram terrorists commanders were neutralized last week Friday, 1st September 2017, during aerial bombardment on their hideout.

Nigerian Air Force operations against Boko Haram on Legit.ng TV.

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel