- The Taraba state government describes the reported sudden withdrawal of troops from operations as unceremonious
- The chairman of Donga local government area, Nashuka Ipeyen, says the soldiers were withdrawn around 1am on Saturday, April 14
- Army arrests alleged masterminds of Taraba attacks
The Taraba state government has expressed concerns over the reported withdrawal of soldiers deployed in troubled areas of the state to enforce peace and security.
The spokesperson to the state governor, Bala Dan-Abu, in a statement on Saturday, April 14, described the said withdrawal of troops from operations as unceremonious.
“The surprise is that no reason was given for the withdrawal and government was not aware.
“At the moment the reason for the withdrawal of the soldiers is not known to us,” the statement said.
The chairman of Donga local government area, Nashuka Ipeyen, told the Punch that the soldiers were withdrawn around 1am on Saturday, April 14.
He said: “I complained to him over the withdrawal of soldiers because we received information that some villages were going to be attacked, but he told me he can’t risk the lives of his soldiers.
“The Commanding Officer insisted that he was withdrawing the soldiers until the state government should write an undertaking that they will take responsibility if any of the soldiers is attacked or killed.
“I don’t know why the state government would have to do that for the soldiers when the attackers are killing civilians on a daily basis. Just a while ago, a Tiv man was shot dead in a village at the outskirts of Donga town here.
“However, I have made arrangement with the commissioner of police who has since deployed three trucks of mobile police personnel to provide security for the people."
But the military has faulted the report that soldiers deployed to troubled spots in the state had been pulled out.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
The assistant director army public relations, 23 brigade Yola, Maj Kamarudeen Adegoke, insisted that soldiers were still on ground contrary to claims by the state government.
“All our men are still stationed at their various duty posts. I don’t know where the state government has gotten their information that troops have been withdrawn, but what I can confirm to you is that our men are fully on the ground,” he said.
The director of army public relations, Brig Gen Texas Chukwu, in a statement obtained by Legit.ng said on Saturday, April 14, that two persons connected with killings in Taraba state had been caught by troops involved in a military operation in the area.
Chukwu said investigation revealed that the two suspects were key players in the killings and uprising in the two local government areas of the state.
He called on the public to always give useful and timely information to the security agency for prompt action.
TY Danjuma, Nigerian army and the herdsmen crisis | Legit.ng TV