- An application by the EFCC seeking to seize the funds in 15 banks linked to Patience Jonathan has been rejected by the Federal High Court in Lagos
- The funds include a total of $8,435,788.84 and over N7.35 billion
- The application was rejected by Justice Mojisola Olatoregun
The Federal High Court sitting in Lagos on Friday, April 13, rejected an application by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) seeking to seize the funds in 15 bank accounts linked to Patience Jonathan, wife of ex-president, Goodluck Jonathan.
The funds which the anti-graft agency sought to seize include a total of $8,435,788.84 and over N7.35 billion, Punch reports.
Legit.ng notes that while explaining the reason why the ex parte filed by the EFCC for the seizure of the funds was rejected, Justice Mojisola Olatoregun said the funds were already subject of litigation before two other judges.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) rejected former first lady, Patience Jonathan’s offer to settle out of court the brewing dispute over the strange payment of $11,489,069.03 into her domiciliary accounts.
The anti-graft agency asked the ex-first lady to come before a court by entering into a plea bargain in line with the laws of the land, saying that it would only accept a plea bargain in which the court was carried along.
The EFCC detectives said they had not been able to trace about 29 of the 31 individuals and companies which made the controversial deposits.
Recall that Mrs Jonathan, in a January 30, 2018 letter, titled: “Proposal for out-of-court settlement of all cases related to Dame (Mrs.) Ibifaka Patience Jonathan,” told the EFCC of her intention to settle her case with the anti-graft agency out of court.
The EFCC stage a walk against corruption - on Legit.ng TV