- Army has denied abandoning of wounded soldiers at referral hospitals
- A man had reportedly claimed that soldiers wounded while fighting insurgents in the northeast were abandoned at the Army referral hospitals
- But the acting CMD of the 68 Nigerian Army reference hospital, Lagos, Brig-Geneneral Adekola Dada, said the hospital only had one injured soldier who had a fracture in his right tibir
The acting chief medical director of the 68 Nigerian Army reference hospital, Yaba Lagos, Brig- General Adekola Dada, on Monday, April 9, dismissed as untrue allegation by a man who claimed to be an Army captain that soldiers wounded while fighting insurgents in the northeast part of the country, were abandoned at the Army referral hospitals.
Vanguard reports that he said that the hospital only had one injured soldier who had a fracture in his right tibir, at the male orthopedic ward in Yaba area of the state.
Legit.ng gathered that Dada, who informed that the soldier, Sergeant Ahmed Abdulai, of the 19 battalion, Maiduguri, sustained the fracture while training, wondered why anyone could fabricate such falsehood at a time when all chiefs of the armed forces were putting more effort to boost the welfare and fitness of personnel.
Speaking during a tour with journalists round the 68 reference hospital, he said: “The process for referral is very fast. If a soldier is wounded, he is evacuated to the base hospital depending on the nature of the injury. Some can even be managed locally at the 7 Division Medical Services and hospital at Maiduguri, which immediately takes care of wounded personnel.
“If there is any issue with a personnel, he can equally be evacuated to Kaduna, where they(doctors) do the needful and the paper works start immediately. Sometimes, the process of setting up a board that will examine the soldier and determine his condition, takes five days or one week.
"Once that is done, the recommendation is sent to the office of the Chief of Army Staff who gives approval for the patient to be flown abroad for treatment. I don’t remember anyone that was sent to him (COAS)by the headquarters of the Nigerian Army medical Corps that he declined.”
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Nigerian Army approved a special promotion for 3, 729 troops of Operation Lafiya Dole who participated in Operation DEEP PUNCH II in Sambisa forest.
It was reported that a statement released on Thursday, April 5, by the director Army public relations, Brigadier General Texas Chukwu, said that the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Tukur Yusufu Buratai, approved the promotion.
Nigerian Air Force operations against Boko Haram - on Legit.ng TV