What is it being an administrative officer in Nigeria? What does the job include when you work for an organization? What should one be able to do to become an administrative officer for a company with a certain profile in a specific area of activities? Let’s see below.
Functions of administrative officer
If you are looking for a job of an administrative officer in an organization in Nigeria, you need to remember that the very notion “administrative officer” is quite vague. It means that a there’s no precise administrative officer job description in Nigeria. A lot depends on the office where you are going to work. Employers are totally able to have their own visions of the requirements to administrative officers in their organizations.
READ ALSO: NPower recruitment process and requirements in 2018
This is why, in order to understand properly the functions of administrative officer in a random company, let’s check out the demands to candidates different organizations have based on their job advertisements.
For example, here’s a company that’s producing soft drinks, healthy food, and fruits for the home Nigerian market of food products. They want their administrative officer to possess the following qualities and perform the following tasks:
- The ability to build friendly and stable relationships with customers
- The ability to receive questions and inquiries from customers and respond to them correctly and politely
- The ability to manage and organize the staff under your charge so that the team is efficient, productive, and always ready to achieve the biggest expected output
- To make sure that all the scheduled financial and other administrative procedures and audits are completed on time
- To analyze and prepare financial statements for the team of managers
- To support and assist sales and marketing campaigns in order to get the biggest possible profit
- To manage and maintain the good order in the company’s databases, documentation, and other systems
- To initiate changes and practices that improve the performance and effectiveness of the team
- To assist the financial department in handling their financial operations
- To assist in the proper and effective management of the payroll processing
It’s visible from the demands that the candidate who’s expected on this position should have a higher education and significant experience of working in such a sphere. Assisting the financial department, leading a team and improving its effectiveness is a complicated task that can hardly be handled without a proper training.
However, let’s check out the demands of another organization. This time, let’s take a look at the position of an administrative officer in an initiative that helps children in Nigeria and executes its programs in many other countries of the world.
The position of an administrative officer in this organization is described as a combination of office, facilities, and staff manager with a bit of policies maintenance, traveling and logistics management. Let’s see the precise demands.
- In the area of office management: ensure the smooth everyday working process of the office, ensure the office has everything required for the operation, including stationery, etc., ensure the office is properly equipped with everything necessary for the productive performance and has effective daily plans of work;
- In the area of facilities management: ensure the working premises are tidy and comfortable enough for the healthy atmosphere of all the employees, ensure the utility bills are paid and the landlord is satisfied with everything, ensure all the employees are in a proper health condition for the effective performance of the office;
- In the area of travel, logistics, and events: ensure all the representatives of the office can easily travel on their business matters and have everything required (visas, tickets, effective plans and routs of movement), ensure all the meeting in the office are planned cost-effectively;
- In the area of staff management and development: ensure all the members of the staff are properly qualified and effective at their working places, supervise and manage the team of the company so that their performance is efficient, work with the employees whose performance doesn’t meet expectations and doesn’t satisfy the requirements, reward the outstanding skills.
In addition to this, the company is able to add other responsibilities and duties to the position depending on the current needs and executed programs. This is why the person who’s thinking about such a career should train their flexibility and be always prepared for unexpected turns in their working process.
Administrative officer salary in Nigeria
The job of an administrative officer can make you quite sufficient money in return for your hard labor. Of course, a lot will depend on the office where you will find the job but on average, the money this profession gives varied between N50,000 per month and N150,000 per month.
Being an administrative officer in Nigeria is not easy but it’s an official job that has a stable income and can provide your living. In large cities like Lagos, the salaries will be higher as well as in big companies, banks, and other facilities that deal with a lot of money and that have a good reputation.
After all, it’s a good career start for those who want to grow further to higher administrative positions. With the experience this position gives, it will not be hard for you.
READ ALSO: 10 online jobs for students in Nigeria