An unconfirmed report has claimed that there are at least 1 million African men and women in the bottom of Atlantic Ocean who were reportedly thrown overboard by European slave traders either because they were unruly or sick.
The unconfirmed report claimed the Africans belonging to different tribes such as Yoruba, Fulani, Igbos, Ashanti, AKan, Mandinka, etc. were thrown and fed to the sharks in the ocean.
Similarly, a report by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) stated that thousands of migrants have died or disappeared globally since 2014, adding that more than half of them perish while attempting to cross the Mediterranean.
READ ALSO: Breaking: 76 of 110 abducted Dapchi schoolgirls released - Presidency
The IOM report in part: “While overall numbers of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean by the eastern route were reduced significantly in 2016 by the EU-Turkey deal, death rates have increased to 2.1 per 100 in 2017, relative to 1.2 in 2016.
“Part of this rise is due to the greater proportion of migrants now taking the most dangerous route – that across the central Mediterranean – such that 1 in 49 migrants now died on this route in 2016.
“Since 2014, more deaths have been documented on this route than any other migration route in the world. In the first half of this year, the IOM said at least 3,110 migrants have died or disappeared globally, which is lower than the figure in 2016 (4,348), but the risk of dying has increased in the Mediterranean even though fewer migrants crossed into Europe.
“The central Mediterranean route, ending at Lampedusa or the main island of Sicily, accounts only for about a quarter of almost 1.5 million people who have arrived since 2014 on all routes, but for 88% of all migrant deaths in the Mediterranean.”
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
A data compiled by the UN’s migration agency also shows that a clampdown on Europe’s eastern borders has forced migrants to choose more dangerous routes as the death toll in the Mediterranean continues to rise despite a drop in the overall number of arrivals.
Legit.ng previously reported that the prime minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, on Tuesday, March 20, said that an electric fence along the Israel-Egypt border had saved Jewish state from jihadist attacks or what he believed would be worse - a tide of African migrants.
Netanyahu's office quoted him as telling a development conference in the southern Israel desert town of Dimona that if it was not for the fence, the country would be faced with severe attack by Sinai terrorists and something much worse, which he said was a flood of illegal migrants from Africa.
The Interior Ministry stated that there are currently some 42,000 African migrants in Israel, mainly from Sudan and Eritrea, and the government has ordered that thousands of them must leave or face indefinite imprisonment.
Mass deportation: Tales of woes from Libya - on Legit.ng TV