- Two Boko Haram members have been sentenced by a court for terrorism activities
- One of them who reportedly escaped from the terrorists’ camp in 2013, said he worked as a guard in Lagos after leaving the group
- The judge showed mercy after he admitted that he was guilty, saying the defendant’s story about leaving the group after his father’s death was believable
One Babagana Ali who is a Boko Haram member and participated in the activities of the group in several communities in Borno state was sentenced to 25 years imprisonment on Thursday, February 15.
The Punch reports that the same court also sentenced one Sunday Abana of the Askira Uba local government area of Borno state to 40 years imprisonment for participating in the attacks of the sect in 2013.
Abana confessed to being a member of the deadly sect and said he actively participated in their attacks in eight villages.
Ali said he escaped from the terrorists’ camp in 2013 and went to Lagos where he worked as a security guard in the Ikoyi area.
He was however arrested by the Civilian Joint Task Force in Maiduguri in 2015 after he decided to return to Borno state.
The prosecutor said: “The defendant escaped to Lagos and stayed within Ikoyi where he was selling recharge cards and working as a security guard."
Ali confessed that while in the terrorists’ camp, he was asked to call his father whom the group later found guilty for a punishable crime and sentenced him to death.
He said his father was later killed after he left the place.
In his judgement, the judge said the defendant’s story about leaving the group after his father’s death was believable and that since he had pleaded guilty, there was no reason to waste his life.
He also said evidence showed the convict had been exposed by his father to the teachings of Boko Haram sect from infancy when he could not differentiate between right and wrong.
Abana was sentenced to 20 years for “professing to be a member of Boko Haram and to 30 years for receiving training in weapon handling by Boko Haram.”
Meanwhile, the Nigerian army said it will give out the sum of N3 million reward to anyone with information that leads to the arrest of Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau.
Army spokesman, Brigadier General Sani Usman, in a statement on Thursday, February 15, urged anyone with information about the whereabouts the factional Boko Haram group leader to contact either the military command and control centre, Operation Lafiya Dole, any military location, security agencies or call the Nigerian Army Information and call centre 193.
Survivors of Boko Haram on Legit.ng TV