The Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM) is a professional regulatory body for managers in commerce, in government, and industries in Nigeria. The institution offers professional courses, programmes, and training for its registered members and non-members. Continue reading to learn more about Nigerian Institute of Management courses.
The Nigerian Institute of Management is a professional body and a non-profit institution for professional managers in Nigeria. In 1961, managers at top levels in the government, commerce, and industry convened a general meeting to discuss forming a management institution in the country. The meeting led to the formation of the Nigerian Management Group. In 1964, the name was later changed to Nigerian Institute of Management. In that same 1964, the institute was also incorporated under the Nigerian Companies Act, Cap. 37 as a non-profit institution.
The purpose of the Nigeria Institute of Management is to promote professionalism in management. The institution defines the standards and required skills for professional managers in Nigeria. The institution also offers professional courses which award diplomas in management. The Nigerian Institute of Management Establishment Act 2003 was passed on the 19th of June 2003 at the National Assembly. This act gave the institution the formal and full authority over the regulation of the management profession in Nigeria.
Professional courses in Nigeria in management
READ ALSO: List of professional courses in Nigeria
The educational programme of the Nigerian Institute of Management offers the following courses and programmes.
Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) – Part-Time
The Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) is an approved course by the Senate of the University of Ibadan (UI) which is run in collaboration with the Nigerian Institute of Management for managers with a university or HND degrees. The programme is recommended not only for managers but also for graduates in other professions such as Accounting, Agriculture, Arts, Banking, Engineering, Information and Communications Technology, Law, Medicine, etc. The course offer participants the opportunity to learn and develop management knowledge and skills that will advance their career in their respective professional field. You can find more information about this course on the NIM website.
The Student Scheme programme allows 300 Level students in universities and HND 1 students and above in polytechnics to take courses at the Nigerian Institute of Management. Successful students will have the opportunity to be inducted as a graduate member of the institution upon completion of their studies at the university or polytechnic.
Courses in stage one include:
- Communication Skills for Managers (MPE 003)
- Corporate law (MPE 008)
- Entrepreneurship (MPE 006)
- Principles of Accounting (MPE 005)
- Principles of Economics (MPE 007)
Courses in Stage two include:
- Business Ethics and Nigerian Institute of Management Act (MPE 107)
- Financial Management (MPE 106)
- Leadership Development (MPE 108)
- Marketing Management (MPE 105)
- Management Principles and Techniques (MPE 101)
Special training programmes
The Nigerian Institute of Management also holds special training programmes for members and non-members. These programmes will take place from the 6th to 8th of March 2018 at Nigerian Institute of Management (Management House) Idowu Taylor Street, Victoria Island, Lagos.
- Office Administration course for public and private sector employees - This course is for people looking to improve their administrative skills.
- Personal Effectiveness Skills for Secretaries, PAs and Office Assistants - This programme is a basic management course which has been designed to allow the participants acquire the essential managerial skills to effectively perform their duties.
- IT Skills for Administrative Officers - This is a course for managers who do not have any computer skills seeking to develop knowledge in computing and information technology.
- Performance Management and Productivity Improvement Course for Administrative Officers
Other programmes/courses for members
These programmes are available and compulsory for registered members of the Nigerian Institute of Management:
- Continuing Learning and Development (Clad) Programme
- Mandatory Continuing Professional Education Programme (MCPEP)
You can learn more about these courses and more on the official website of the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM) at www.managementnigeria.org or any of their regional offices.
READ ALSO: Short courses in Canada for international students