- Defence spokesman, John Enenche, justifies $1bn approved by governors to fight the Boko Haram war and why the military needs it
- He says troops have been prosecuting the war against insurgency with AK-47 of the second world war in the 18th century
- PDP faults $1 billion approved by Nigerian governors for the fight against Boko Haram
The director of defence information, John Enenche, has maintained that AK-47 which is what soldiers have been using to prosecute the anti-Boko Haram war is outdated when compared to modern rifles.
Enenche made the statement on Monday, December 18, when he appeared on a Channels TV programme to talk about the $1bn approved by governors to fight the Boko Haram war and why the military needs it.
The spokesperson who brought with him two military arms - an AK-47 and another unnamed rifle, said the other rifle was better than the AK-47.
He said: “I brought the arms to the studio to make Nigerians understand the efforts that have been made so far with what, among several other things, that the armed forces of Nigeria have used to prosecute the war against insurgency and terrorism in the north-east,"
“One of them is AK-47, which is what we have been using to prosecute a special war. AK-47 is used to prosecute a conventional operation,” he said.
“The other one, I will not mention the name, is obviously different in every way. That is the kind of equipment necessary to prosecute the war in the north-east. The differences between the two are miles apart.
“If it were to be in Russia for instance, this sophisticated weapon is supposed to be the personal weapon of every soldier to confront insurgency and terrorism.
“It has special features. What is the capacity of the magazine? 30. What about the telescopic sights? Very, very accurate. Yet, the armed forces of Nigeria has been prosecuting the war against insurgency with AK-47 of the second world war in the 18th century. And we have come this far.”
Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on Friday, December 15, said that the $1 billion approved by Nigerian governors for the fight against the Boko Haram is questionable, Daily Trust reports.
Legit.ng gathered that the PDP in a statement by its national publicity secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan described the approval for the release of $1bn as curious and alarming.
According to Vanguard, the opposition party wondered why the APC-led government had to recourse to the National Economic Council (NEC), "avoiding the direct constitutional appropriation channel of the National Assembly for funding of items already provided for in the federal budget."
Nigerian Air Force operations against Boko Haram on Legit.ng TV