How to make groundnut soup?
It is known as Maafe in West Africa, called Nkatenkwan in Ghana and famously known as sauce d’arachide in France. In fact, groundnut soup happens to be a very popular dish in Africa. Let us go to the kitchen and cook it together!
African recipes will always amaze you with their diversity and exotic tastes. Majority of the dishes are mostly made from rice, birds, fish, vegetables and fruits. A lot of spices give a special flavor to the national cuisine. One of the most popular delicacies in the country is the groundnut soup. The main ingredient is the groundnut mashed into a paste. Groundnut soup can be eaten with fufu, kenkey and banku.
There are various recipes that shows you how to cook groundnut soup in different African countries. The basic ingredients are: raw groundnuts, onions, tomatoes, beef, garlic, ginger and oil. Sometimes carrots, meats and potatoes are added. Here is the classic recipe for how to make groundnut soup.
Groundnut soup recipe
READ ALSO: Nigerian vegetable soup recipe
- 1 cup raw groundnuts
- 1 pound beef (about 1/2 kg) – to be cut into small pieces
- 5 peeled garlic cloves
- 1/2-1 inch peeled ginger root
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tomatoes - diced or blended
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 hot (habanero) pepper and other spices– up to your taste
- Roast the groundnuts in a frying pan over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes. Stir them continuously so they will not burn.
- While the groundnuts are being roasted, put the washed beef in a pot and add two cups of water. Then add half a teaspoon of salt, and a tablespoon of chopped onions. Cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat until the meat is done.
- When the roasted groundnuts are ready, they will have a brown color. When they have cooled down, mix them into a paste with a coffee grinder or blender. Add a glass of water to the paste and continue mixing until you get an even consistency
- Then add the ginger, garlic and habanero pepper (if used).
- Remove the meat and water from the pot. With the same pot you used for the meat, add some oil and heat it up. Then add the rest of your onions and tomatoes.
- After 5 minutes of frying, add your ginger, garlic, habanero pepper, beef, mixed groundnut, spices and half a teaspoon of salt. All these should be added into the pot. Stir thoroughly.
- Cook for about 10 minutes.
Groundnut soup is ready! Total time of preparation is approximately 45 minutes.
The unique combination of the ingredients makes for a very delicious and nutritious soup. Enjoy it with vegetable garnish, a spoon of sour cream and toasted bread.
READ ALSO: How to make Nkwobi soup?