Presidency meets Arewa youths as deadline for October 1 quit notice draws near
- The quit notice to the Igbo people living in the north has continued to cause tension
- The Arewa youths told the presidency that the notice would be reconsidered
- They further explained that the notice was in reaction to the threats of war by IPOB
The presidency, through Babafemi Ojudu, an aide to Muhammadu Buhari, has met with Arewa youths over the quit notice they issued to Igbo people in the northern region recently.
The three-month quit notice will expire on October 1, and this had been causing tension in the country with groups in the south-east urging their people to return home.
READ ALSO: South-east youths hold rally for President Buhari
Senator Ojudu revealed that the youths, through their leaders, made their grievances against the Igbo people known and gave assurance that they would reconsider the quit notice they issued.
According to Ojudu, the meeting was resourceful as participants spent hours brainstorming and discussing.
Details of the meeting and its outcome, he said, would be made available at a press conference on Thursday, August 24.
“Had a lengthy and resourceful meeting with leaders of the Coalition of Northern Groups today.
“They were the youths who some weeks ago shocked the nation by issuing a notice to the Igbos to quit the Northern part of the country on or before October 1.
“After the meeting, they resolved to reconsider their position and this will be made known at a press conference on Thursday.
“They described their action as pre-emptive because of the incessant threat of war by IPOB,” he reportedly said.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
Legit.ng recently reported that in his address to Nigerians after his return from London, President Muhammadu Buhari warned those trying to destabilise the country.
He also warned that the unity of Nigeria is non-negotiable.
What are some of the things you want Buhari to do now that he is back? Watch this video: