These days, buying avocado oil is quite expensive. There are many uses of avocado - skin treatments, cooking, etc. But how can you get and use avocado oil if it is so expensive? The perfect solution is to buy avocados and extract avocado oil by yourself! Don’t know how to make avocado oil? We are here to help you out.
How to extract avocado oil?
There are three most common ways of extracting avocado oil at home:
- Sieving dried avocados;
- Using a press;
- Cooking avocado.
We will cover all of them, and you may choose which one is the best for you. But note that in all of these options you will extract the oils from the avocado, but not from its seed. Soon you will know how to make avocado oil at home!
You might be wondering:
“How to make avocado seed oil?” The answer is quite simple, and we will start with covering it. In order to extract the oils, you will need some plastic bags, mallet, a seed oil press and some time. Let’s get started, shall we?
Extracting the avocado seed oil
Follow the steps listed below, and soon you will get the avocado seed oil that is so popular in culinary and cosmetics!
The first thing you need to do is to buy some avocados. Well, obviously, right? Let’s not count this as a step.
1. When you have your avocados, get the pits. Wash them and remove the pulp remnants from them. Take your time.
2. Take the washed pits and leave them in the sun. They have to dry, so it will take a couple of days.
3. When they are nice and dry, put them in a plastic bag (make sure it has no holes in it) and smash those pits with a mallet! Crush them into small fragments.
READ ALSO: Economic importance of fungi in commercial agriculture
4. When you are sure that the pits have suffered enough (there are only oil and small fragments left) take a glass jar and a strainer. Pour everything into a strainer and use a spatula to push the oil through.
5. If needed, use a cheesecloth to get the final drops of the oil.
6. Take the small fragments that are left in the strainer and pour them to the hopper of the seed oil press. Put the jar under the spout of the press.
7. Use the press to extract all the oils that are left in the pits.
8. Leave the oil to sit for a few days. Check the top of the oil and use a spoon to take off the contaminants. When you are sure that the oil is clear, heat it and boil to kill bacteria and cook off any water that was in the seeds.
Success! Now you know how to extract the avocado seed oil. Let’s move on to something less complicated - extracting oils from the avocado itself.
How make avocado oil by sieving dry avocados?
If you want to extract oil from the avocado itself, you will need a large amount of avocados. We will start with twelve avocados.
1. Slice the avocados around the pit in half. Then separate the halves and get out the pit. Use a spoon to take out the fruit of the avocados and put them into a blender or a food processor.
Don’t throw away the skins from the avocados - you may use them to extract oil in the future (we will cover this as the third option).
2. Use the blender to make a puree out of those avocados! It has to be like a paste, with no chunks. You can also mash the avocados with your hands if you don’t have a blender. You can also use a plastic bag and a mallet, like with the seeds.
3. When you have your thick paste, spread the avocado on a baking tray. The layer has to be even, but don’t make it too thick or thin - about 1 - 1.5 centimeters is ideal.
4. Take the tray and put it in the sun to dry. It may take up to two days. If you don’t want to wait, then put the tray in the oven and set the temperature to more than 50 degrees C.
It may take up to 5 hours to dry the avocado in the oven. You also have to check it every hour and make sure that it is drying, not baking. If the avocado is turning black, it is time to take it out.
5. Take the avocado out of the oven. Use a spatula to get the avocado out of the tray and put it into a thin cotton cloth.
6. Take the cloth and pitch the corners together making a sack. Squeeze the avocado oil into a bowl.
7. Pour the avocado into a bottle. Let it sit for a few days and then clarify it the same way as the oil from the seeds.
As you can see, this option turned out to be quite easy.
But it gets better:
There is one more method, which you might like to try!
How to extract oil from avocado through cooking?
You will need twelve avocados again. Peel them the same way as we did in the previous option. Use the blender or your food processor to make the avocado puree.
1. When you’ve done all the mentioned steps, it is time to start some cooking. Take your blended puree and put it into a pot. Put the pot on a stove and turn the heat on “medium”.
2. Don’t forget to stir the avocados. You should do this every five minutes.
The avocado will start to boil. You will notice that there will be oils on the top of the mixture. Don’t worry and don’t try to get the oils right away.
3. Cook and stir the mixture until it’s dark green or brown. You will also notice that the water has evaporated.
4. The next steps are the same as in the previous option - take a clean, thin cloth and put the avocado mix into the cloth. Make it like a sack, put a bowl under it and squeeze the oils into the bowl. Then pour them into a bottle and eventually clarify the oil.
The last option is one of the easiest because you are going to use a special tool: orange press!
How can you get oil with the orange press? Continue reading, and you will find out!
How to make avocado oil by using a press?
At the beginning steps are the same - you need to slice the avocados in half, get the fruit from the avocados and dispose of the pit. Don’t get rid of the fruit, though. You can use it for the previous options or make some good guacamole.
1. When you have all your skins ready, place them in an orange press. Place a bowl under the press.
2. Make sure to read the instructions to your press before using it. Squeeze the oils from the avocado skins.
3. Take a fine strainer and place it in a bowl. Then take a coffee filter and place it on the fine strainer. Strain the oil through your mini filter system.
4. Let it strain overnight. It will let the small amount of oil that are left in the avocado pieces filter into the bowl. After that, boil the oil, get rid of any excess water and pour the oil into a bottle.
See, the process of making avocado oil is quite easy, and it only takes few steps. Besides being cheaper, it has a lot of vitamins that are essential skin and hair treatments.
READ ALSO: Guinea corn health benefits for babies