Jollof rice happens to be one of the most popular dishes in Nigeria. There are many different variations of this recipe - you can do it with vegetables, meat or even tofu. It is very much loved by West Africans. Today we will learn how to prepare jollof rice with carrot and green beans.
How to prepare jollof rice with vegetables?
Because of the huge variety of recipes, it's not difficult to find the one that suits you. We managed to find two great recipes. The first one is vegetarian, with carrots and green beans and the second is for those are more into meals with meat - jollof rice with carrots, green beans, and chicken.
As we mentioned before, jollof rice is quite popular in Africa and especially in Nigeria. But why? Well, we think that the reason is the unique taste and colour of the rice. People use various ingredients to make this dish, but the result is always the same - a delicious meal. It is commonly served at various ceremonial events like graduation, wedding, Christmas and even funeral. Some people even prepare this dish everyday.
There are some basic ingredients that you will need in order to make Jollof Rice. Usually, they include tomato puree, peppers, onions, rice, water, etc. We will cover the basic recipe, but it will also include carrots and green beans.
Let’s start cooking!
How to prepare jollof rice?
In order to prepare the favorite dish of many Nigerians you will need:
- A blender;
- A deep sauce pan or pot;
- One cooking spoon;
- One ladle;
Interestingly, another name for this dish is Benachin which, in Wolof language, literally means “one pot.” So, basically, for all the cooking you will need only one pot. But what are the ingredients for the jollof rice with carrot and green beans?
The ingredient for jollof rice with vegetables:
- 750g Rice;
- 1 tablespoon of Cooking oil;
- Water (you will need enough water to cook the rice);
- 2 medium onions;
- 1 cup of Tomato puree;
- 1 big Green pepper (or any other pepper of your choice, bell pepper or capsicum pepper);
- 2 Fresh or canned chopped tomatoes;
- Chili pepper (depending on your taste);
- Salt and pepper;
- 2 carrots;
- A cup of green beans;
- Other spice and vegetables of your choice;
Note that green beans and carrots have to be cooked ahead of time and you will add them later on in the recipe. Make sure that they are soft enough but not overcooked.
How to cook jollof rice?
READ ALSO: How to make Ewa Agoyin and sauce
The process is not very complicated, and it won’t take a lot of time. Just follow the steps listed below and eventually you will make a great, tasty meal that can be suitable both for an important event and a regular family dinner.
Remember to pre-boil the carrots and green beans before adding them to the recipe.
1. Take a blender and blend the chili pepper and any other pepper of your choice along with the fresh/canned tomatoes. Make sure that they are blended into a smooth puree.
2. Chop the onions, the green pepper, and other vegetables of your choice (except carrots). Try to chop the vegetables in cubes.
3. Take your saucepan or a pot and heat it. Pour cooking oil into it and wait until it heats up. Then add the chopped vegetables and cook them for 10-15 minutes. You will know that the vegetables are ready when you can smell the green pepper.
4. When the vegetables are ready, add the blended chili pepper. Fry it with the vegetables for a few minutes.
5. Blend the fresh or canned tomatoes. Add it to the pot along with the tomato puree. Stir it with a wooden spoon and let it simmer for a few minutes.
6. When the mixture (the stew) in your pot thickens, add the spices. You can also add a stock cube. Make sure it is well crushed.
Important Note: Don’t add the salt before tasting the stew. Your stock cube or spices might already be salty enough. You don’t want to spoil your jollof rice, right?
7. Add salt if needed. Don’t forget to stir the stew from time to time so it doesn’t burn.
8. Now it is time for your carrots and beans. Add them to the stew.
9. Take your rice and clean it well with water if needed (add water to it, stir, then pour the water out. Do it several times).
10. Pour the rice into the stew on the heat, stir everything together and make sure that it is well mixed.
11. Add more water. Make sure that it covers the the rice and stew combination. Check if there is enough salt in it and let it boil for about 20 minutes. Stir it from time to time.
12. Your meal is ready when the water drains from the rice. You may also check the rice from time to time to see if it's soft enough. If it's not, you can add some more water.
There you have it- the vegetarian version of jollof rice with carrot and green beans. Now it is time for the next recipe!
How to cook jollof rice and green beans with chicken?
The ingredients are similar. You will need:
- 3 cups of rice;
- 5 cups of water;
- ¼ cup of oil;
- 3-4 cloves of garlic;
- 1 ½ pound of chicken;
- 2 onions;
- 1 red or green bell pepper;
- ¼ cups of tomato paste;
- 1 cup of green beans;
- 2 cups of tomatoes;
- salt and pepper;
How to cook jollof rice with carrot and green beans with chicken?
1. Take the chicken and cut it into pieces.
2. Take the onions, tomatoes, and pepper, chop them.
3. Take a large pot, pour the oil in it and heat it. Add the chicken, fry it on both sides.
4. When the chicken is ready (it has to be brown on all sides), remove it to another pot and add some water.
5. Put the pot with the chicken on the stove. When the water starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and leave the chicken on for 20 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, put the first pot on heat and pour 2 tablespoons of oil into it. Then add the onions and pepper. Saute the onions and pepper mix for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Then add the garlic and saute them for 1-2 minutes. Be careful so you don’t burn the garlic.
7. Prepare the rice and pour it into the onions and peppers mix. Let them sit for 1-2 minutes.
8. Add the tomato paste - there should be enough to coat the rice. Then add the chopped tomatoes and cook them for 2-3 minutes.
9. The process should take you about 20 minutes - just enough for the chicken to be ready! Take your chicken and the stock, pour it into the first pot, the one with the rice and vegetables. Now it is time to add carrots and beans!
10. When all your vegetables are in the pot, season the mixture with salt and pepper. Bring it to boil, then reduce the heat. Cover the pot and leave it for 20 minutes.
11. After twenty minutes, check to see if the water drained from the rice. Remove your pot from heat and leave it for ten more minutes.
You can serve your jollof rice with salad, dodo, or hard-boiled eggs and so on. There is an endless possibility.
Now you know how to prepare jollof rice! Add something new to it and create your own recipe. You can use different vegetables and meat, depending on your taste. Bon appetit!
READ ALSO: Current price of rice in Nigeria is growing - Why?