- 70 Boko Haram insurgents have surrendered to the Nigerian Army
- 700 other insurgents are expected to come out of hiding in the coming days
- Among the insurgents that surrendered to the army include key commanders and influential members of the terrorist group
Over 700 Boko Haram insurgents are to surrender to the Nigerian army following sustained bombardment from troops of 26 Task Force Brigade, Operation Lafiya Dole.
The director army public relations, Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman disclosed this in a statement on Monday, July 3.
According to the army’s spokesperson, out of the 700 insurgents, 70 terrorists on Monday came out of hiding and are being profiled.
He said the rest are expected to come out from hiding in the coming days.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
General Usman stated that among the insurgents who surrendered were key commanders and influential members of the terrorist group, one of whom matched suspect number 225 on Boko Haram terrorists most wanted list released by the Nigerian Army.
The army spokesperson said the terrorists who surrendered had been making useful statements and it is expected that many more of them will surrender.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army says it has contributed immensely to the democratic process in the country through robust participation in peace support and internal security operations.
It said that it contributed by consolidating, especially in the last one year on the gains so far achieved in the fight against Boko Haram insurgency and other domestic threats.
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai made the remarks on Friday at a news conference to begin the 2017 Nigerian Army Day Celebration (NADCEL), which holds on every July 6.
In the video below, the Nigerian Air Force gives an update on operations against Boko Haram in 2017.