- JAMB has arrested cyber café operators who sold information to candidates for N10,000
- The agency’s Head of Information, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, made the statement in Abuja on Sunday May 14
- Benjamin says the operators deliberately changed the e-mail addresses and passwords of candidates to ensure that messages sent to the candidates by JAMB gets to them (operators of cyber cafes)
The Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board (JAMB) on Sunday, May 14, said it had arrested operators of cyber cafés for defrauding candidates of the ongoing Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) for N10,000 to access information on their e-mails.
The Nation reports that JAMB’s Head of Information, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, said this on Sunday, May 14, in a statement issued in Abuja.
READ ALSO: Aggrieved soldiers allegedly write open letter to Buhari, threaten to resort to lawlessness if their demand is not met
Legit.ng gathered that Benjamin said the operators deliberately changed the e-mail addresses and passwords of candidates to ensure that messages sent to the candidates by JAMB get to them (operators of cyber cafes) and in turn sell such information.
“We also appeal to candidates not to allow cheats to defraud them as we have arrested cyber cafe operators who changed candidates email addresses and passwords and ensure that all messages send to candidates get to them and in turn sale such information like examination notification for N10,000.
“It’s our humble expectation that a candidate aspiring to be a student in any tertiary institution should be able to operate an email. All information is sent to their email addresses and also on our site for the public use,” he said.
He said the organisation did not post candidates out of their preferred towns as was reported in the media.
“Again we want to reiterate that we did not post any candidate outside his or her town of choice as expressed in their application, contrary to reports in some quarters. Candidates are always allowed to make a choice of examination town while we allocate centres within the examination town chosen by a candidate,” he said.
Fabian hailed the organisation for the successful conduct of the UTME, which began on Saturday,, May 13, across 642 computer based centres (CBT).
He said: “We are happy that the 2017 UTME, which kicked off on Saturday, May 13, has been hitch-free so far and in line with the arrangements put in place for candidates to write the examination without stress.
“All negative speculation of shift, change of schedules etc over the ongoing 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculations Examinations (UTME) are from mischief-makers, who are desperate to create confusion before or during the exams, owing to personal and selfish interests that are detrimental to the development of public examination and education.
“We thank all Nigerians who supported this drive. We promise that we will continue to fine-tune the process for the better. From the reports across the federation, there has not been any major hitch on the ongoing UTME with over 1.7 million registered candidates captured for the examination.”
READ ALSO: BREAKING: Truckers, agents give FG Monday mid-day deadline to avert seaport strike
He advised candidates to check JAMB’s website as well as its official twitter handle for information concerning the conduct of the examination.
Meanwhile, in this Legit.ng video, watch Nigerians react to the president's return to London: