Syria: 100 killed as bomb hits buses with evacuees

Syria: 100 killed as bomb hits buses with evacuees

- 100 people have been killed in another Syria bomb explosion

- The explosion was targeted at pro-regime evacuees leaving besieged Syrian towns

- The blast also injured 55 people in Rashidin

About 100 people were killed Saturday April 15 in a car bomb explosion targeting pro-regime evacuees leaving besieged Syrian towns, a volunteer rescue agency said.

The blast, which struck buses of people who were leaving their towns as part of a rebel-regime swap, also injured 55 others in Rashidin, a suburb of Aleppo in northwestern Syria, according to Syria Civil Defense, also known the White Helmets.

READ ALSO: Governor, dignitaries escape mob attack at APC rally (photo/video)

CNN reports that workers try to put out a fire at the site of Saturday’s bombing of an evacuee convoy in Rashidin, Syria. Workers try to put out a fire at the site of Saturday's bombing of an evacuee convoy in Rashidin, Syria.

Syria: 100 killed as bomb hits buses with evacuees

Civil team members try to extinguish the blaze Saturday near Aleppo.

Legit.ng gathered that the convoy of buses, which were parked at the time, was carrying thousands of people from two regime-held but rebel-besieged villages in northwestern Syria, state-run media reported. People were evacuating two rebel-held towns in southwest Syria at the same time under a so-called Four Towns Agreement.

Video shown on Syrian state-run television showed heavily damaged and burned buses parked on the side of a road. People walked outside the buses, surveying the damage as well as bodies lying on the roadway and a grass median.

The evacuees, from the mainly pro-regime Shia villages of Al-Fu'ah and Kafriya, were bound for regime-held parts of Aleppo.

The state-run Syrian Arab News Agency reported the convoy continued, and the first buses arrived late Saturday in Aleppo. The buses headed to the Jebrin area for a temporary housing center equipped with food and medical supplies, SANA said.

No group has claimed responsibility.

Syria: 100 killed as bomb hits buses with evacuees

Opposition fighters monitor a bus convoy in Rashidin on Friday, the day before the bombing.

During a televised interview, Rami Abdul Rahman, director of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said a suicide bomber claimed he was carrying food items and blew himself up in a fuel station.

Abdul Rahman said he doesn't believe the Syrian regime is behind the attack. He said the regime kills scores of people daily using all types of weaponry and doesn't need to kill its own sympathizers.

The evacuees had been allowed to leave their villages this week as part of a Shia-Sunni exchange agreement between the Syrian government and insurgents who have been fighting a civil war for six years.

As part of the deal, government forces are allowing thousands of rebels and civilians to leave two towns in southwest Syria: Madaya and Zabadani, according to the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.

Madaya and Zabadani have been under the control of anti-government fighters but facing siege from forces loyal to the regime.

READ ALSO: More trouble as Jonathan indicted in $43m recovered by EFCC

The rebel group Ahrar al-Sham tweeted that some of its members died in the blast. They were at the site to ensure the convoy's passage, Ahrar al-Sham said. The group said it was investigating to find out who was responsible.

Legit.ng previously reported that United States of America recently bombed government-controlled airbase in Syria in retaliation for a chemical weapon attack that killed scores of civilians in a Syria.

Meanwhile, in the video below by Legit.ng, Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II blasts Nigeria's leaders over poverty.

Source: Legit

Mailfire view pixel