Want to have a perfect look on the ceremony? Gele is a very popular element of the traditional Yoruba attire. If you don't know how to tie gele with layers in front, we have prepared this write-up exactly for you. Read this gele tutorial and share it with your friends.
It is not an easy task to tie a gele, but everything can be done if you follow special tips. We offer easy twelve steps which will help to tie gele perfectly. Remember, you will need time and patience. For btter understanding, yu can use the video below at the end of the article. Enjoy the process, and you will like the result.
READ ALSO: Yoruba traditional wedding attire
12 easy steps anf tips on how to tie gele
Please note that each step and advise is highly important.
- Choose the native fabric, which will become your gele. Very often Nigerian women prefer metallic fabric because they look very stylish and have many colors. The choice of fabric depends of the whole attire and colors of the other outfits. Try to choose light fabrics not to look clumsy. Furthermore, your head will not sweat, and it will protect you from overheating. Main benefit of the natural fabric is that gele will not slip off thanks to its texture.
- Fix your hair, gather it up. Your hair will be hidden under the gele. If you have long and very curly hair or you are using a transparent fabric for creating your gele it is advisable to put a cover on your head.
- Fold the fabric in the half or a bit less (it depends on the length of the fabric). It will guarantee a beautiful “crown” of your gele.
Weeks after Yinka Ayefele stood on his feet, this paralysed woman walks for the first time ever (see video)
- Muffle the gele from the back around the head toward the forehead. The ends in the front must be equal.
- Take one end (the left one) and muffle it towards the right one. You will notice that the left part is a bit shorter than another one.
- Cross two sides of the gele: the right side over the left side. After that, take the side, which is longer (the right one) and wrap it to the back, always secure your movements by hands to make your gele neat. Gele must cover your forehead and ears.
- Arrange front layers, layer by layer, forming a fan by squeezing the ends. Ensure that the closest to you part is enough to grip.
- Make all the same on the other side (the right one).
- The grip is secure if you tie both ends in a double knot, and tuck them neatly. The knot should be on your nape.
- Arrange two layers on the top of the gele. Start to make the second layer from the back, it is important that the highest point is situated in the middle.
- Create pleats and lines, make frontal layers carefully by your fingers.
- Push back the gele to prevent it from falling. Ears should be hidden. Now it is high time to your creative vision of your gele, adjust it until you will achieve the result you want.
Hope that the guide was useful and clear, and you have achieved the desired result. Try several times, practise, and you will see that it is easier than it seems to be. Look marvelous at your special event!
READ AlSO: How to tie gele? - Step by step instruction